Thursday 26 May 2016

What NOT to Do During Ramadan


As Ramadan approaches, there are many articles coming up that help us in starting Ramadan in the right foot. This year, I've decided to join the bandwagon and write on what NOT to do in Ramadan. This is more of a reminder to myself first.

1. Do not enter Ramadan without any preparation- Remember that time you entered the exam hall, nervous, since you didn't prepare at all?  You can guess how the exam went on from there.Yeah, this is something like that. By the time you reach the middle of Ramadan you would either be physically exhausted with the fasting or your spiritual levels might have dipped. Since none of us really want that to happen, try to up your game this time round, by preparing in advance. Fast once or twice a week to get yourself into the groove. Take your supplements so that you would have the strength to continue fasting. Make a list dua now itself so that you wouldn't have to scramble and rack your brain during taraweeh. Believe me, it can happen and you will be loosing a lot of time this way.

2. Do not spend a lot of time with your mobile/electronic devices- This. This is where the real test lies. At least for me. Many a times I struggle to put my phone down and it takes a lot of effort from my side to control this habit. I do realize this could lead to an unhealthy addiction, which is why I have planned to curb it before Ramadan comes around, inshallah. I set a time (say, 10 minutes) where I do what I need to, and then put the phone aside for the next 30 minutes. Meanwhile, I occupy myself with some work I need to do around the house, or read a book. Once I've established this, I plan to gradually increase the time I am away from the phone.It's been a week since I've started this practice.  Alhamdulillah so far the 10 min:30 min rule is working quite well.

3. Do not spend a lot of time in the Kitchen - We desis have this habit of having lots of gatherings during Ramadan. Either we are hosting one, or are invited to one. And we all know what happens there. Everything, but the remembrance of Allah. And the host spends a lot of her time in the kitchen instead of in worship. This is a sure fire way of not reaping the benefits of Ramadan. So, what is the alternative to this?  How about inviting your friends before Ramadan? This way you have the whole of Ramadan to yourself and Allah. And when you are invited, try to politely decline. But if you absolutely have to attend, stay for a little while and leave. Once there limit discussions in matters that are not going to benefit anyone. Rather, initiate topics on Islam, about forgiveness etc. Things that would remind each other about Allah. There is a hadith where it is said that the Angels descend in a gathering where Allah is remembered. Not only that, but they convey the people's duas to Allah and Allah confers His protection on those people and pardons their sins. Won't it be amazing if that happens to us? I bet it would!

These are just three steps that you can start with right now. I believe it is better to take tiny steps when you want to change a habit instead of taking giant leaps which might leave you exhausted and discard what you started right in the middle of it. There are more you could add to the list if you want to. Think of a habit that might hinder your spiritual journey during Ramadan and work on that.
As I mentioned before, this is a reminder to myself first and foremost. If you do benefit from this, Alhamdulillah, and please do remember me in your duas. May this RAMADAN bring in a change in us and may it be a productive one, Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment